Friday, December 5, 2008

Extremely Frugal RICE!


Rice Volcanos
Originally uploaded by Simply Frugal
The easiest way I know of to make rice doesn't require measurements. It's an old family recipe, from a Japanese friend.

1 cup of uncooked rice makes about 3 cups of cooked rice.

Place rice in saucepan. Fill with cold water. Water should stand about 1 inch above the surface of the rice. I use the tip of my finger, touching the top of the rice, and adding water until it reaches the first joint.

Place uncovered pan on burner, and turn heat up high. Boil the rice rapidly until the water level is lowered to the top of the rice. Do not stir. You'll see "volcanoes" in the top of the rice.

Cover the pan. Turn heat to low and let the rice sit for 15-20 minutes. Don't lift the lid until the time is up. Fluff with fork before serving.

I usually turn the heat off entirely if I'm cooking white rice. Brown rice should steam about 30-35 minutes.

No comments: